Go to your local supermarket and you’ll find countless mosquito repellants on the shelf. It’s natural to wonder: how effective are they? Repellents, when used correctly, can provide a valuable layer of defense against mosquitoes, but the level of protection can vary based on several factors.
In this guide, we’ll try to demystify the world of mosquito repellent, and answer the question, do mosquito repellents really work?
Which Mosquito Repellent is Most Effective?
The most important factor in the effectiveness of a mosquito repellent is the active ingredient. The most powerful mosquito repellants tend to cause the most irritation to your skin, and may not be recommended for certain people.
- DEET-based repellents have been used for decades and continue to be one of the most popular and effective choices for mosquito repellent. DEET is safe for most people, but it can be irritating to the skin of some. Children may be especially susceptible to irritation.
- Picaridin is a newer synthetic compound designed to be similar to DEET in effectiveness and duration, but less irritating to the skin. It is often recommended for children and people with sensitive skin.
- IR3535 is another synthetic compound that is similar to DEET and picaridin in terms of effectiveness and duration. It is less irritating to the skin than DEET and picaridin, and it is often recommended for children and people with sensitive skin.
- Citronella oil is a natural mosquito repellent that is safe for most people. It can offer protection for a short time – its effectiveness quickly wears off.
- Organic and all-natural mosquito repellents are made with natural ingredients, such as essential oils. They are safe for most people.
Need a Mosquito Control Estimate?
Click below to leave your information and we will call you right back!
Dress for Success Against Mosquitoes
If you’re the kind of person who doesn’t like to wear mosquito repellant, don’t get stressed. Get dressed up. Mosquitoes can’t bite your skin if they can’t get to your skin. Wear long pants and long sleeves like it’s your suit of armor against mosquitoes.
Keep Mosquitoes Out of Your Yard with Professional Treatment
Mosquitoes in the Georgia and Tennessee area can get so bad that even the strong repellants won’t do the entire job. When that’s the case, professional treatment from the experienced mosquito exterminators at Lookout Pest Control can help.
Call Lookout Pest Control today to schedule your mosquito treatment.Back to Mosquito Control
Does mosquito repellent work? in Georgia and Tennessee
Serving the Chattanooga Metro Area