If you’ve noticed small, wingless insects scurrying around in your home, they may be silverfish or firebrats. These two household pests are quite common and easily mistaken for each other. They look quite similar, but there are some key differences. In this article, we’ll delve into the ways you can tell silverfish and firebrats apart. This way you can be equipped with the knowledge to identify which pest you’re dealing with and make informed decisions about potential pest control measures.
So, how do you tell the difference between silverfish and firebrats?
Silverfish and Firebrats in the Georgia and Tennessee Area
Both silverfish and firebrats are relatively common household pests. The good news is that they’re harmless. If you don’t like the sight of them, take comfort in the fact that at least they won’t bite or spread disease – unlike some household pests.
Let’s talk about some of the similarities between firebrats and silverfish before we dive into the differences. Traits shared by silverfish and firebrats include:
- Long, flat, wingless bodies
- Six legs
- Three tail-like appendages protruding from the rear
- Make their habitats indoors and outside
- Most active at night
- Detrivores, which means they feed on organic matter
Need a Household Pests Estimate?
Click below to leave your information and we will call you right back!
What are the Main Differences Between Silverfish and Firebrats?
- Color: Silverfish are grayish in color whereas firebrats have more of a brown to red hue, earning them their name.
- Size: Firebrats generally top out at about ½” long whereas silverfish can grow a bit bigger than that.
- Where to find them: Silverfish like cool and damp areas like basements and crawl spaces whereas firebrats prefer warmer, more humid spaces like laundry rooms.
Call for Expert Firebrat and Silverfish Extermination Service
Even though neither of them are very dangerous, silverfish and firebrats can be unpleasant – and extremely difficult to eliminate on your own. That’s why we recommend working with a professional pest control company like Lookout Pest Control.
Our expert pest exterminators will do a full assessment of the scope of the problem and create a customized solution for your home. Call us today and let’s get started!Back to Household Pests
How to tell the difference between silverfish and firebrats in Georgia and Tennessee
Serving the Chattanooga Metro Area