Did you know that bed bugs and lice are two different pests? People often mix up the two because they have many similarities, but there are many differences too. Both are small wingless insects that feed on blood. Both can be a nuisance and extremely difficult to get rid of. Both are associated with a lack of cleanliness or poor hygiene, even though it’s been proven time and again that anyone can get bed bugs or lice regardless of those factors.
If you think you might have bed bugs or lice, don’t panic. First, determine which you’re dealing with so you can decide how to move forward.
What are the Differences Between Bed Bugs and Lice?
Bed bugs and lice are two common household pests, but there are some key differences between the two:
- Size: Compare an apple seed to a sesame seed. Both small, but the apple seed is clearly larger. Bed bugs are about the size of an apple seed, while lice are about the size of a sesame seed.
- Color: Bed bugs are reddish-brown, while lice are grayish-white.
- Location: Bed bugs are found in beds, bedding, and other places where people sleep. Lice are found on the hair of humans or animals.
- Transmission: Bed bugs are most commonly transmitted through contact with infested furniture or luggage. Lice are most commonly transmitted through direct contact with a person.
- Treatment: Bed bugs can be treated with heat treatment, chemical treatment, and steam cleaning. Lice can be treated with shampoos, combs, and topical treatments.
Need a Bed Bug Treatment Estimate?
Click below to leave your information and we will call you right back!
Can Bed Bugs Live in Your Hair?
While uncommon, bed bugs can crawl into a person’s hair and bite on the scalp. However, it’s highly unlikely that bed bugs would ever live in a person’s hair. It’s not what they’re looking for when it comes to a nesting location. They like to hide during the day – so they’ll usually prefer a nook or crevice around the house.
Call Lookout Pest Control for Effective Bed Bug Removal in Georgia and Tennessee
Bed bugs and lice can both be a nuisance and health hazard, but they’re very different. If you think you have either of these pests, getting professional help can give you peace of mind.
At Lookout Pest Control, we have the experience and the knowledge to get rid of bed bugs quickly and effectively. Call us today to get a free quote or to schedule!Back to Bed Bug Treatment
What’s the difference between bed bugs and lice in Georgia and Tennessee
Serving the Chattanooga Metro Area