Have you noticed wood damage in your walls? Or maybe you’ve seen winged ants flying around your home. Or are they termites? It can be hard for many people to tell the difference between carpenter ants and termites, but our experts are here to help.
While these two pests may look similar, they’re quite a bit different if you know what to look for – both in their behavior and their appearance.
What’s the Difference Between Carpenter Ants and Termites?
At a glance, termites and carpenter ants can look very much alike. A closer look, however, reveals some noticeable differences. If you’re not sure whether they’re carpenter ants or termites, compare them in these areas:
- Size: Carpenter ants can grow up to 1 inch long, while termites are typically much smaller, measuring only about 1/8 inch long.
- Color: Carpenter ants are typically black or dark brown, while termites are often light brown or white.
- Wings: Both Carpenter ants and termites will create specialized individuals called swarmers at certain times during the year. Swarmers have wings which have different patterns we can use for identification.
- Nesting habits: Carpenter ants build their nests in moist wood. Termites build their nests in soil, and they often build mud tubes to connect their nests to food sources.
- Diet: Carpenter ants do not eat wood. They eat other insects and sugary foods. Termites eat wood.
- Damage: Carpenter ants can cause damage to wood, but not as much as termites. Termites can cause extensive damage to wood, and can be difficult to control.
- Treatment: Carpenter ants can be treated with pesticides, but may require multiple treatments. Termites can be treated with pesticides, but may require more extensive treatment.
Need a Ant Control Estimate?
Click below to leave your information and we will call you right back!
Expert Extermination Whether It’s Carpenter Ants OR Termites
If you think you may have a carpenter ant or termite infestation, it’s important to contact a pest control professional right away. At Lookout Pest Control, we’re experts in identifying and treating both carpenter ants and termites. We’ll inspect your home and recommend the best course of treatment to get rid of the pests and protect you.
Contact us today to learn more about our carpenter ant and termite control services.Back to Ant Control
What’s the differences between carpenter ants and termites in Georgia and Tennessee
Serving the Chattanooga Metro Area